Live streaming has become a viable alternative to traditional cable television options. In order to successfully transition from cable to streaming, it is important to understand the requirements of streaming.
There a 3 major requirements for streaming TV:
● Internet connection
● Streaming service subscription
● Streaming device
Streaming requires a reliable internet connection that provides adequate bandwidth. Standard definition streaming on a single device requires download speeds of 3 megabits per second, while HD streaming requires download speeds of 5 megabits per second. All of San Juans internet plans support streaming for one smart tv, or multiple handheld devices.
Streaming Service Subscriptions:
Streaming requires a subscription to a streaming service. There are many quality services to choose from, so it’s important to find a service that satisfies your specific needs. Here are a few popular options:
● YouTube TV, $40 per month – Local channels (Kiro, King, etc…), sports (ESPN, FS1, MLB Network, NBA TV), unlimited video recording.
● Sling TV, $25 to $40 per month – Major channels (ESPN, Disney, CNN, HGTV, NFL Network), limited local channel options, 50 hours of digital recording for an extra $5 per month.
● Hulu with Live TV, $40 per month – Hulu’s entire streaming library, major channels with the option to add premium channels for an additional cost.
Since there are many streaming services to choose from, it’s important to complete some basic research before choosing a plan.
In order to stream, you need a device that is capable of streaming. This devices come in several different forms:
● Smart TV – These televisions come with streaming applications built in. These TVs connect to your internet connection and can be used to access your streaming subscription applications.
● Streaming Device – These devices have streaming applications built in to them and connect to your television. These devices come with their own remote that allow you to navigate menus and access your streaming subscriptions to watch content. Examples of these devices include Roku, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Apple TV, and Google Chromecast.
● Personal Computer – Through a web browser on your computer, you can access the streaming service of your choice.
● Mobile Device – Many TV streaming services have their own mobile applications that allow users to stream directly on their phone or tablet device.